Financial Education Classes
Budget Buy and Save
“Thank you for all the knowledge and helpful tips that you taught me. I am now a wiser consumer and strategic saver with goals to accomplish and dreams to fulfill.” Thien-Y, Budget Buy and Save graduate
This powerful program combines group classes, homework assignments, and individual coaching to help residents achieve their short and long-term financial goals.
Our fun and impactful classes are grounded in a teaching methodology called popular education. This philosophy assumes that we all know a lot based on our life experiences, and learning is not just about gaining knowledge but also about making positive change for ourselves and our communities. During the course, participants complete a series of assignments designed to help them assess their current financial situation, get organized, and make plans for their future. After the class series, each participant meets individually with a trained financial coach to get support overcoming any challenges they face and get connected with information and resources to help them move forward. Program graduates also receive a $75 incentive.
Topics covered in Budget Buy and Save:
- Knowing yourself and your relationship to money
- Creating a vision for your financial future
- Goal-setting and taking action to achieve your goals
- Understanding credit and how to read a credit report
- How to repair and build credit
- Getting out of debt
- Making a realistic household budget
- Connecting with mainstream banking services
- Finding and making use of community resources