Free Tax Preparation
It’s Your Money. You Earned It. Now Claim It!
Did you know that as much as $6,044 could be waiting for you when you file a tax return and claim the earned income, child, or education tax credits? Trained volunteers are ready to help you e-file for free at many locations in Oregon and Washington.
To find out about other free tax prep locations in Oregon, click here.
Many community partners in Clark County are also hosting tax prep volunteers, including the Community Housing Resource Center and Three Creeks, Battle Ground, and Cascade Park libraries. Learn more about free tax preparation in Washington by clicking here.
When you go, take these things with you:
- Your W-2’s
- Any 1099’s
- Your picture ID and social security card
- A copy of last year’s return (if you have it)
- Child care expense info and children’s social security cards
- Health insurance info (if you bought health insurance on your own in 2014)
There are several special credit programs available to low-income households:
- Earned Income Tax Credit: If you earned income last year, you may be eligible for a larger refund. Families with two or more children get the largest amount of money back, but single people are also eligible.
- Child Tax Credits: Your child care expenses may offset the tax you pay and/or increase your refund. You also get a tax credit for taking care of your children.
- Education Credits: Were you a student in 2014? There are several different credits you are eligible for, or you may be able to deduct the tuition and other expenses you paid, resulting in lower taxes.