STARTS is a 6 week leadership development program held in a different REACH building three times each year. This fun and interactive class series is designed to build on participants existing knowledge and experience and to be a space for residents to develop new skills and ideas to create positive change in their own lives as well as in their communities. In addition to the activities in class, participants of each session work together to plan and carry out a group volunteer event, either within their REACH building or in the greater Portland community. Past groups have volunteered with OMSI, Northwest Children’s Outreach, The Oregon Humane Society, and The Oregon Food Bank. Graduates of each class session receive a $75.00 incentive award.
- Finding your own unique leadership style
- Basics of effective communication and conflict resolution
- Setting and achieving personal goals
- Advocating for yourself and others
- Identifying personal and community assets